Oregon Episcopal School prepares students for higher education and lifelong learning by inspiring intellectual, physical, social, emotional, artistic, and spiritual growth so that they may realize their power for good as citizens of local and world communities.
OES began in 1869 as St. Helen's Hall, a boarding and day school for girls. It attracted students from the rural areas of Oregon as well as from Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, and Idaho. The school moved several times during its first century to different locations in downtown Portland. It was located at 13th and Hall Streets before moving to its present location in Raleigh Hills in 1964.
In 1972, St. Helen's Hall merged with Bishop Dagwell Hall, an all-boys school, and was renamed Oregon Episcopal School (OES). Over the years, the school has grown in the number of students and in the quality of its facilities. In the 1990s and especially since 2000, the school has gained a nationwide reputation for its research-based science program. Today our students regularly win awards in competitions such as the Regeneron (formerly Intel) Science Talent Search and the Siemens Competition in Math, Science, & Technology. The music program has grown dramatically over the past 10 years, offering numerous choirs, a cappella groups, bands, orchestras, and jazz bands. Alumni continue to praise the instruction they received in writing, saying it has been critical for them in their further studies and careers.
In celebration of our Sesquicentenial, OES is delighted to present this digital archive and glimpse into our history. Please enjoy the many yearbooks, school catalogs, documents, and dozens of photographs available here.